Mt Dutton Bay Woolshed History
The Mt Dutton Bay Woolshed was established and built by pioneer ‘Price Maurice’ in 1875.
He held a land lease that stretched from Elliston to Dutton Bay, covering over 100 miles of coastline. A jetty was also built adjoining the woolshed, which secured this as a valuable ‘land -sea link’. This land – sea link was unique, as it was located within the pastoral lease itself and not attached to a township.
All timber trusses within the Woolshed were transported from Oregon USA, which still bare the official markings today. The stone used for the building was found on site and around the district of Wangary.
At its peak , over 20,000 sheep were shorn within the woolshed. Up to 100,000 fleeces were baled and loaded onto ketches from the adjoining jetty, for overseas markets.
The Shearers Quarters was also established in 1875 and in its hey day the quarters housed up to 14 hand-blade shearers, four roustabouts and two cooks.
Price Maurice never lived at Mt Dutton Bay, nor did he live on any part of his pastoral lease, but chose to live at Campbelltown, South Australia. Due to illness, Price Maurice returned to England to his hometown of Wrexham and died in 1894.
History photos on this page have been kindly supplied by Deane Morgan and the family of the late Lance Puckridge.
Early in the 1920’s the Mt Dutton Bay Woolshed was bought by the Morgan family. The Morgan family used the Woolshed for shearing right up to the mid 1970’s. After which, the store shed was used to store ‘broom grass’, local grass used for making brooms. Fisherman would also use the store shed to store nets and fishing gear.
Due to the bad state of the Woolshed and fear for public safety, the Woolshed was almost demolished at one time. But, due to public support, the Woolshed along with the adjoining jetty, was placed under State Heritage Listing in 1984.
Since 1992 the Woolshed has been lovingly restored now offering a working ‘Museum’ and Function facilities, Hostel Accommodation and ‘Cottage’ Accommodation.